Growing up, my mom's delicious beet & coconut thoran/fry was one of my favorite dishes. Sitting at the dinner table, I was mesmerized by the deep burgundy hue of the spiced beets seeping into and turning all of the white, plump rice grains on my plate a vibrant pink that even Crayola couldn't rival. After dinner I would giggle at myself proud of my new pink-stained fingers.
Years later, Ive realized that that very shade of deep red/pink is one of my absolute favorite colors. It is one that I find myself constantly hunting for at MAC and Sephora and the color that immediately catches my eye when picking out a new dress or sari.
Along with its brilliant hue, the deep, sweet and earthy taste of beets seems somehow perfect to eat on a day when we celebrate our loved ones. Because, thats exactly how we should love isn't it? Deeply, sweetly and as humbly as we can. :) Happy Valentine's Day! <3
Warm Panko-Crusted Herbed Goat Cheese & Beet Salad
3-4 cooked Beets - diced
1 Goat Cheese log, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of chopped tarragon
1 teaspoon of chopped parsley
1 bunch of your favorite microgreens
1. Whip egg in a small bowl and keep aside
2. In another bowl combine, panko, herbs, salt, pepper thoroughly
3. Take each sliced round of goat cheese and carefully dip into egg wash
4. Then carefully coat with panko/herb mixture
5. Place rounds on a plate and chill in the fridge for 5 minutes ( this is so they don't melt too quickly in the pan)
6. While the goat cheese is cooling, warm a skillet and melt a small pat of butter in it.
7. Once the butter begins to bubble, gently place the goat cheese rounds in the pan
8. Fry until golden brown on both sides
9. Place the diced beets on a plate and top w9ith the goat cheese rounds and garnish with the microgreens.
10. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. (optional)